Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Beauty in Imperfection

"I'm incredibly imperfect but wonderfully loved."

When my fiancé gave me my engagement ring, it nearly took my breath away. Not only was my favorite person asking me to spend the rest of my life with him, but my goodness, the ring itself was absolutely gorgeous!

Later, as he was explaining to me about the design of the ring he said, "I think the diamond has one little imperfection in it, but it is set so you can hardly see it."

"That's alright," I replied. "It's still beautiful and I love it."

Honestly, I thought that was a fitting description of life in general. I'm not perfect. None of us are, really. All of us have our flaws and are in need of redemption. We are still beautiful and loved, though. Our imperfections and brokenness are part of what makes us who we are.

One of my favorite professors, Mr. Balla, used to say something similar. Whenever you asked him how he is, he would say, "I'm incredibly imperfect but wonderfully loved." His response always took me a little off guard, but in an unforgettably good way.

So, I'm reminded that in my imperfection I am loved and beautiful. I really appreciate being able to wear this imperfect-but-absolutely-beautiful ring as a constant reminder of that truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment